/ 2018 / Portraiture / Children
In this quirky but poetic photo series about the turbulent puberty period,
I pull the contemporary youngsters out of their digitized world and look
further than their ever upbeat image they display on social media. My
starting point is that teenage years are always an emotionally bittersweet
period, regardless of the times in which you grow up. You are both child
and adult sharing the same body, wrestling with your identity and your
place in the world.
Miranda Schmitz studied Economics at the University of Antwerp, Belgium. In daily life she works as an independent Interim Manager and Consultant.
Nevertheless she also caught the photography bug. In 2017 she graduated at the Academy of Fine Arts. In addition she followed several master classes by well-known photographer.
Miranda Schmitz strives to compile atmospheres, moods and feelings in her work. She prefers to use suggestive and ambiguous images that are often layered and which viewers may define themselves.It is the emotions a the visual poetry that provide an extra layer to her images.
Awards AWARDS AND HONORS:
- Honorable mention, IPA One Shot, Movement, USA, 2020
- Nomination, ‘Fine Art Photography Awards’, UK, 2020
- Honorable mention, ‘Water 2020’, NYC4FA, USA, 2020
- First Prize ‘Out from the Mist, Australia, 2019
- Finalist Kuala Lumpur International Photo Awards, Malaysia, 2019
- Honorable mention, IPA, Deeper Perspective, USA, 2019
- Honorable mention, IPA, Portrait/Children, USA, 2018
- Gold Medal Award and Portfolio Award in ‘San Francisco Bay International Photo Show’, CA,
- 3rd price ‘International Photography Competition’ in ‘People and portrait’, Florida Museum
of Photographic Arts’, FL, USA, 2018
- Gold in ‘PX3 2018’ in ‘Non Professional-Portraits/Children’, France, 2018
- Honorable mention, ‘Humans 2018’ NYC4FA, USA, 2018
- Nomination, ‘Fine Art Photography Awards’, UK, 2018
- Honorable Mention, ‘IPA OneShot: Harmony’, USA, 2018
- Laureate FotoForum Talent, ‘Fotoforum Brasschaat 2018’, Belgium, 2018
- 5 Honorable Mentions, ‘Monochrome Awards-Portrait’, USA, 2018
- 3rd price ‘Best of Show’ in ‘I’ll be your mirror’, 1650Gallery, CA, USA, 2018
- Laureate + Cover Photo ‘New Dutch Photography Talent 2018’, GUP Magazine, the
- Laureate ‘Graduation Project’, newspaper ‘De Morgen’ Belgium, 2017
- 4 Nominations, ‘Fine Art Photography Awards’, UK, 2017
- 2nd price ‘Fotonale Brugge’, Bruges, Belgium, 2014