/ 2017 / Press / Feature Story
The forgotten Kurds
Bronze in Press/Feature Story, Gold in Press/War
Giacomo Sini Photojournalism
I’ve had a great interest and passion on Kurds since I was a child. I’ve
been hosted hundreds of time by Kurdish families and I’ve always
breathed a peaceful atmosphere with them.
When I heard about the siege of Kobane, attacked from every corner
by IS, I was really afraid about my friends in Kurdistan. I was looking
some videos about the fight inside Kobane shot from a hill facing the
city in Turkish territory where I was an year before and I started
deeply to think to go back in Kurdistan: It was a need and a duty at the
same time. After months documenting the situation on the border, on
February 2015 I crossed into Kobane; since that day I've never
stopped document the tragedy of kurdish people, until today. This is a
travel amongst people of Rojava, following their visions from the
desert of war rubbles to Anatolia.
Giacomo Sini born in Pisa, (Italy) in 1989. In 2014 he obtained a degree in social sciences at Pisa University. Passionate about the Middle East and Central Asia, has photographed many times the realities of conflict in Syria, Lebanon and Kurdistan. He is interested mostly in refugee’s stories from conflict and post conflict areas and cultural reports. Today is livining in Livorno, (Italy). His works have been published in Vice, El Pais, Stern, L'Express, Humanité Dimanche, Internazionale,NZZ, Repubblica, Al Jazeera, The Guardian.
Awards - In 2015 Giacomo has taken part on the master in Photojournalism at "Officine Fotografiche Roma". Here he was chosen to expose his reportage about Kurds at the nation exhibition of Fotoleggendo 2015.
- On October 2015 he won the first prize at "Moscow Internation Photo Award" for the category "War/Editorial/conflict".
- On January 2016 was one of the finlist of "One Eye Land Award".
- On February 2016 He recived an honorable mention at the International Photo Awards.
- On July 2016 was a finalist for the "Siena International Photo Awards".
- On October 2016 he receives two nominees for the "2016 Photography Grant"
- On November 2016 he received a Bronze Star Award for the professionists' category "Editorial: general news" at the "Nd Awards"
- On December 2016 he was second in the category "Photojournalism-Story" at the "International Photographer Of The Year Awards"
- On February 2017 he was third for the professional's category "Story" at FIIPA "Fiof Italy International Photo Awards"
- On June 2017 he won the first prize for the category War/Press and thirz prize for the category Feature/Press at "Px3 Prix de la photographie Paris"
- - 2017 Shortlisted at the Lucie Grants Award
- 2017 Finalist at Celeste Prize 2017
- 2017 Honorable mention at ND Awards
- 2017 Bronze “Chromatic International Awards”
- 2017 Honorable Mention “Chromatic International Awards”
- 2017 Shortlisted for the Biennal Grant
- 2018 Finalist at Biennal Grant
- 2018 Finalist for the Category Editorial – “War/Conflict” and Finalist for the “Category – Photo-essay/Feature Story” at One Eyeland
- 2018 Honarable Mention “International Photographer of The Year”
- 2018 Honorable Mention for the category “Editorial/Current Affairs” at “Pollux Awards”
- 2018 Honorable Mention for the category “Documentary & Reportage” at “Pollux Awards”
- 2018 Finalist at “Siena International Photography Awards”
- 2018 Honorable Mention “Tokyo International Photo Awards” for the category “Editorial”
- 2019 FAPA nom.