/ 2017 / Press / Nature/Environmental
Tuvaq- Edge of the Ice
Far out on the ice, under the never-setting sun of Arctic spring,
time evaporates. The mind calms and you begin to inhale the
world around you: the cold, the wind, the ice, the quiet, the wait.
But underneath the damper of stillness, life boils. Out on the
tuvaq--the expansive interface of sea and ice--everything
happens. On the tuvaq, the whale breaches. The walrus is
harpooned. The maktaq is eaten. The hunters watch the
horizon. We wait. There is no need for words. The mind is still.
Tuvaq - Edge of the Ice is an exploration of the stillness and
quiet mystery that envelopes and defines life on the sea ice.
Kiliii Yuyan is an indigenous Nanai/Hézhè & Chinese-American photographer and filmmaker. He has contributed award-winning features for National Geographic Magazine, TIME, NPR, and the BBC. On assignment, he has fled collapsing sea ice, weathered botulism from fermented whale blood, and found kinship at the edges of the world. Kiliii is also a National Geographic Expeditions Expert for the Arctic. He is based out of Seattle.
Awards * PDN’s 30 New and Emerging Photographers, 2019
* PCNW 22nd Juried Exhibition, 2019, First Place
* Best of ASMP, 2018, First Place, Series
* Eddie Adams XXXI, 2018
* PX3 Prix de la Photographie Paris, 2018, Bronze, Feature Story
* PDN World in Focus, 2017, 1st Place, Photo Essay
* PX3 Prix de la Photographie Paris, 2017, Gold, Press
* Critical Mass, 2017, Top 50
* PDN Photo Annual, 2017, Personal Work
* International Photography Awards, 2017, Silver, Deeper Perspective
* Communication Arts Annual, 2017, Multimedia
* Sienna International Photo Awards, 2017, HM, Editorial
* International Photographer of the Year, 2016, Silver, Editorial
* Sony World Photo Awards, 2016, Shortlist, Still Life
* PX3 Prix de la Photographie Paris, 2015, HM, Press
* International Photography Awards, 2015, HM, Feature Story, Portrait
* Communication Arts Annual, 2015, Stock
* International Photography Awards, 2013, HM, Conceptual, Portrait