/ 2016 / Press / Feature Story
This reportage is focused on one of the consequences of living in
a situation of extreme tension every day in Gaza, Palestine.
Following the December 2008 Israeli offensive, “Operation Cast
Lead”, there was an increase in risk-taking behavior, including a
significant rise in cases of drug addiction. The most common
drug at the moment is Tramadol, an opioid painkiller medication
which is used to treat moderate to severe pain and it arrived in
Gaza during the war in 2008.
Addicts take this drug to withstand the pressure of daily life and
to feel more alive and happy, but long-term use can cause
depression and anxiety. Users also face the risk of heart disease
and kidney failure, and every day the number of deaths linked to
tramadol abuse increases.
There is a wide illegal market for it, in Gaza, that reach the place
through the tunnels and the sea.
Antonio Faccilongo is an Italian documentary photographer based in Rome.
After graduating in communication sciences, and then obtaining a masters in photojournalism, he focused his attention on Asia and the Middle East, principally in Israel and Palestine, covering social, political and cultural issues.
Documenting the aftermath of Palestinian-Israeli conflict in West Bank and Gaza Strip, he sought to unveil and highlight the humanitarian issues hidden within one of the world’s most reported conflicts, because too often it is shown only as a place of war and conflict.
Awards - Getty editorial grant 2017
- 2nd prize PHMuseum Grant 2017
- Finalist Visa D'or Feature 2017
- Finalist LensCulture Magnum Awards 2017
- Best Color Documentary work Gomma Grant 2016
- 1st prize LuganoPhotoDays 2016
- 1st prize Umbria World Fest 2016
- 3rd prize Px3 Prix de la Photographie in Feature Category 2016
- Finalist LensCulture Portrait Awards 2016
- Finalist Fotoleggendo Premio Tabò 2016
- 1st prize MIFA Moscow International Foto Awards 2015 in Sport Category 2015
- Finalist LensCulture Visual Storytelling Awards 2015
- 1st prize Px3 Prix de la Photographie in Feature Category 2011
- 1st prize WPGA The Worlwide Photography Gala Awards 2011
- 1st prize IPA International Photography Awards in People 2011
- 1st prize KLPA Kuala Lumpur International Photoawards 2011
- 1st prize WOW “World Of Women 2011
- 2nd prize IPA International Photography Awards 2011 in Political Category
- 3rd prize OC Nature 2010