Honorable Mention / 2021 / Press / Nature/Environmental
Motion in the land of Amstel
Sandra Hazenberg Photography
With the arrival of new residents, the layout of many 'outlying areas' changes.
Where previously farmers let their cows graze, urbanization is spreading to these areas. This is also the case in Amstelland: the area around the river Amstel under the smoke of Amsterdam. A new generation settles in Amstelland that makes different choices than the original residents in terms of comfort and lifestyle.
This photo series shows the gradual influence on the design and use of landscape. The story takes place in the Amstelland, but the same development takes place throughout Europe.
It has turned out to be inevitable: I am a photographer and I make images.
For me photography is all about the art of storytelling and to make visible what I believe is worth seeing. With my pictures I try to document how people live in relation to the advancing time and how people and the environment struggle in the context of the rapidly changing society. Photography is my tool to express my commitment to society.
Awards After working as a financial advisor I decided to follow my passion.
After I graduated as a photographer at the Photo Academy in Amsterdam, the Netherlands (in 2012) I now present myself in the market as a fulltime, dedicated photographer. I enjoy to be active in various fields of photography in order to fully develop myself as a photographer. Commercially I work for various corporates (portraits and events). My published books and exhibitions could be considered documentary photography.
Exhibitions and publications
- June to August 2021: Solo exhibition ‘Brainchild’, World Trade Center, Amsterdam
- Solo exhibition ‘Motion in the land of Amstel’, Aemstelwijck, Ouderkerk a/d Amstel
- Solo exhibition ‘Works’, Fort Nigtevecht
- Solo exhibition ‘Traces of 50 years of Lada’, World Trade Center, Amsterdam
- Publication in national newspaper Volkskrant; https://www.volkskrant.nl/cultuur-media/despartaanseladawasaltijdalmeereenautovoornederlandersdanvoorrussen~b90323c8/fbclid=IwAR1Ej1GEIy6yiw1AZ5qJXSDx5Hg1BEnl7EwACNjJlFgaZOAShAgjAyx7BY&utm_campaign=shared_earned&utm_medium=social&utm_source=copylink
- Publication in national newspaper Parool: https://www.parool.nl/ps/expositie~bcaeb2da/
- Solo exhibition ‘Ronde Hoep in beweging’, Gemeentehuis Ouder-Amstel
- International Photography Awards (IPA) 2018, Honorable Mention
- Photo book self-published ‘Kruitmakerye De Sollenburg’
- Photo book self-published ‘De Witte Dame’
- Solo exhibition ‘De Witte Dame’, Hotel Boutique DWD
- Photo book self-published ‘Onbewogen bewogen’
- Group exhibition, Rauw, Loods 6, Amsterdam
- Graduation Photo Academie Amsterdam