Curator Selection / 2023 / /
Chronicles of an Emerging Diversity
Born from the aftermath of our thoughtless waste, the new, man-made underwater species have emerged. This addition broadens the rich Diversity of life on our beloved Planet Earth, serving as a poignant testament to the replacement of natural life. In the plastic debris you can pick out silhouettes of hotel guests, employees, and even domestic animals and pets.
Most scuba divers fight against pollution by collecting trash underwater. The species documented here are the result of chance collisions of plastic bags, cups, bottles, nets, and jars gathered during 2-hour-long scuba dives.
Alexej, a Ukrainian-German devoted diver and photographer, highlights the beauty and human-induced distress of the underwater world through his work. Born in Kharkiv, Ukraine, he holds a diploma in rocket engineering and received photography education from the Kiev Photography School.
Alexej's art bridges photography and painting, employing abstract and fine art styles to underscore the link between terrestrial and aquatic worlds. With his distinctive style, he aspires to elevate underwater photography to powerful contemporary art that advocates for peace and environmental protection.
- Overall winner of the Vienna Photography Awards.
Double first-place winner of the Travel Photographer of the Year competition.
- First-place winner of both the Monochrome Awards and Neutral Density Awards.
- Landscape Photographer of the Year as recognized by the Annual Photography Awards.
- Double gold medalist of the Prix de la Photographie (PX3), Tokyo Photography Awards, and Budapest Photography Awards.
- Double recipient of the Jury Top 5 Awards from the International Photography Awards (IPA).
- Longlisted for the Aesthetica Art Prize.
- Commended by the Siena Creative Photography Awards.