Curator Selection / 2020 / /
Brighton in the Corona Age
Brighton, a city in the South East coast of England, is righteously called ‘London by the Sea’, as it is buzzing with life, diversity and colour. Brighton centre with its famous North Laines, is usually a very busy place, especially on Saturdays, when most of these photographs were taken. During the corona virus lockdown, these streets have been transformed into non places of transitional nature where, people walk through only when necessary, raising questions about the age we live in and that nothing is given and permanent despite the advancements of technology and medicine.
Born in Greece 1974. After she was awarded a Greek State Foundation scholarship she moved to UK to complete a PhD in Arts and Communication (Photography) at UCA. She is currently based in Brighton working as a fine art photographer and photography tutor. She also holds a degree in Physics from the University of Patras and a degree in Photography from T.E.I. of Athens in Greece, as well as a PGCE teaching certificate from the University of Brighton.
• 2013, WORK PROGRAMME (Residency), Community Arts Centre (former Grey Area), Brighton
• 2009, Empty Space, Grey Area, Brighton.
• 2008, Potential Space For Abstraction, TheSpace@Acumen, Brighton,UK
• 2007, Empty Space, George Rodger Gallery, UCCA Maidstone, UK
• 2004, The Potential Space, Mphil Upgrade Exhibition, George Rodger Gallery, UCA, UK
• 2003, Internal Reflections, Ano Archanes, Crete, Greece
• 2003, Internal Reflections, Photosynkyria 2003, Thessaloniki, Greece
• 2000, Archanes- Light, Ano Archanes, Crete, Greece.
Selected Group shows
• 2014, Art Takes Miami, SEE.ME Exhibition Space digital exhibition
• 2014, Abstraction|Reality|Process, CAC Gallery, Photo Fringe 2014, Brighton
• 2013, #CreativesRising, One-night Skyscraper Projection & SEE.ME space digital exhibition, New York
• 2013, The Story of The Creative,SEE.ME, New York
• 2013, Transitions, Pure Arts, The PowderMills Hotel, Battle, East Sussex
• 2012, Along the Lines of ..., Brighton Photo Fringe 2012, Brighton.
• 2012, ABOUT PHOTOGRAPHY, Central Exhibition, KAUNAS PHOTO FESTIVAL 2012, Lithuania
• 2012, Cork Street Open Exhibition 2012, London
• 2012, TDACS SHOW OFF, as member of the artists group TDACS, Café Delice Gallery, Brighton.
• 2011, Parallax Art Fair, La Galleria, Royal Opera Arcade, London
• 2011, BRIDGE, BOM Gallery, Seoul, South Korea
• 2010, slash|line|bloom|fuzz|time – Abstract Encounters, Photo Fringe 2010, Café Delice Gallery, Brighton.
• 2009, Art&Escape, Potters Bar, Hertfordshire.
• 2009, Phoenix Brighton Arts Courses Tutors, Phoenix Brighton.
• 2008/2009, Empty Space, Bloomberg New Contemporaries 2008, A Foundation, London.
• 2008, Red Space, Photo Fringe 2008, Gallery 100, DMH Stallard
Awards 2012 Selected for the Central Exhibition ‘ABOUT PHOTOGRAPHY’, KAUNAS PHOTO 2012
2012 Selected for the Cork Street Open Exhibition 2012
2011 ipa (International Photography Awards) 2011, Honourable Mention in the CityScapes Category
2011 ipa (International Photography Awards) 2011, Honourable Mention in the Abstract Category
2008 Selected for the Bloomberg New Contemporaries 2008 exhibitions in Liverpool and London
2006 UCA Research bursary for the last year of my PhD research 2006/2007
2003 Greek State Foundation scholarship for my PhD in Photography for the period 2003-2006