Honorable Mention / 2022 / Portraiture / Personality
My best friend Robert Tilley, a 73-year-old Newfoundlander, has a pool table at his house. He used to play pool quite often when he was young. Though now he doesn't play pool as often as before, when he picks up the cue, he still gives good shots. The antique maps on the wall as you can see were printed in the mid-19th century, and they belonged to Robert’s grandparents. This is Robert’s home, which he built by himself 44 years ago, where old-time memories and modern-time fun mingle together.
I left my home in Asia and came to Newfoundland Canada 4 years ago as an international student. During the past three years, I have not only found my new home in Newfoundland but also my muse. Newfoundland is the inspiration for my photography. Robert Tilley, a -73-year-old true and born Newfoundlander, is the first friend I made when I came to Newfoundland, and now he has become my best friend. Robert and I have traveled most parts of Newfoundland, and he appears in many of my photos as a model.
Awards • Overall Winner of the 18th Julia Margaret Cameron Award, 2022
• Shortlisted in the Royal Photographic Society of Great Britain's IPE 164
• Official Selection in IPA One Shot-Colors
• Gold Winner and Bronze Winner in 2021 Budapest International Foto Awards
• Gold Winner and Silver Winner in 2021 Tokyo International Foto Awards
• 2nd Place Winner in 2021 IPA International Photography Awards
• Winner of 2021 Flickr Your Best Shot
• Finalist of 2022 and 2021 Lucie Foundation Open Call
• Grand Prize Runner Up of 2020 Canadian Wildlife Federation Annual Photo Contest
• Honorable Mention in 2021 and 2020 IPA International Photography Awards