/ 2018 / Press /
The Great Exodus: People with no land
The widely known yet underrated is the Rohingya Crisis. An ethnic
group of Myanmar, residing in the state of Rakhine for centuries,
facing extreme racial segregation leading to further mayhem and
ethnic cleansing as repercussion is the Rohingya. The recent, though
belated, credence on the issue of inflicted tyranny upon them is just a
mileage that has been set. However, that only acknowledges the
crisis but barely covers the extent of the terror. A Rohingya does not
begin the day with morning sunshine but the trepidation of
uncertainty of life. There have been several attempts to label it as a
scattered - Buddhist versus Muslim conflict, but the story lying
beneath is different. Demolition of houses and forced evacuation has
led to Rohingyas searching for refuge in an already densely populated
country called Bangladesh and the refugees tantamount to nearly a
million, which is nearly eighty-percent of the total.
Mushfiqul Alam is an independent Bangladeshi photojournalist based in Dhaka, Bangladesh. He was born in 1996 at Narayanganj. He was first introduced to photography in his childhood. Later he started practicing documentary photography in late 2013. Mushfiq is currently completing his undergrad degree on Economics in Brac University. He generally covers sociopolitical issues and daily life.
His work has appeared in The New york Times, The Guardian, The Wall Street Journal, The Huffington Post,Telegraph, Days Japan magazine, British Journal of Photography, NewsWeek, MSNbc, Yahoo news, Wired
Awards • Shortlisted in Sony World Photography Awards
• Hourly winner in Urban Photographer of the Year
• Honorable Mention in The Prix de la Photographie, Px3
• Honorable Mention in The Black and White Spider Awards in silhouette category
• Honorable Mention in International Color Awards in Children Of The World category
• Honorable Mention in International Color Awards in Portrait category
• Honorable Mentions in The Black and White Spider Awards in sports category
• Honorable Mentions in The Black and White Spider Awards in Children Of The World category
• Special Prize by Jury in DAYS JAPAN International Photojournalism Awards 2018
• Nominated – Joop Swart Masterclass, World Press Photo 2018 – The Netherlands
• 2018 PDN Photo Annual Winner - student Category, USA
• Marty Forscher Fellowship Fund Award for Humanistic Photography, presented by Parsons School of Design and PDN, USA
• Silver medal under General news(series of photos) category in Life Press Photo Award 2018, Ukraine
• New Best Talent of the Year award in "The Prix de la Photographie, Paris" Px3 2018.
• Gold Winner - General News Category in "The Prix de la Photographie, Paris" Px3 2018.
• Highly commended in Ian Parry Scholarship 2018 Award
• Lucie Foundation Scholarship- shortlist
• Honorable mention in Deeper Perspective category in International Photography Awards- IPA 2018
• 1st Prize in Young Reporter category in Prix Bayeux-Calvados Awards for war correspondents 2018. The first from Bangladesh to receive this award.
• Gold under Portrait category in 73rd College Photographer of the Year Award.
• Gold under General News category in 73rd College Photographer of the Year Award.
• Silver under Documentary category in 73rd College Photographer of the Year Award
• Third Prize in Global Photography • The 5th Student Photography Contest 2018
• Honorable Mention in The Black and White Spider Awards under Sports category
• Honorable Mention in The Black and White Spider Awards in Photojournalism category