Curator Selection / 2020 / /
Black Jesus and Black Mary
Eduardo Lopez Moreno
Eduardo Lopez Moreno
Same Jesus and same Mary, just black. Same Christian religion.
According to the sect ‘The Legion of Maria” that operates in the slums of Nairobi, Kenya, the highest God, announced that “Jesus will come back again after crucifixion”, but he will come back in Africa, and black, to save all of them.
Superimposed on the Christian religion, with same traditions and religious structure, the Legion of Mary is populated by archbishops, cardinals, priests and deacons. There is also an African Pope. A very modest and small church has a big outside place, “The Holy Ground of Moises”.
I am preparing a book of photography entitled “Streets of the World and their People”. I like to travel and encounter the world with its streets and its people, but the part that corresponds to my interest, my vision and philosophy of life. My photos are a look at someone's world, a journey into their space and their life; an attempt to build a story without affection, as part of a social commitment. Visual stories that intersect in the streets and in their plurality create a certain connection; a new sense. These images can be regard, a hand, a detail, a fixed temporality that captures move
Awards - 17 honorable mentions (h.m.) IPA 2016. 1 h.m. One Shoot: Climate Change Competition 2017. 6 h.m. Monochrome Photography Awards, 2017. Winner photo, Black Box Gallery, 2018. Mono-Kromatic competition, Minnesota (2018),
- Director’s Award 2017, Cartier-Bresson Passporte Prize, Street Photography.
- 1st place, IPA 2017, Non-Professional Event: Social Cause. 3rd Place, Event – Social Cause, IPA, curated by Catherine Edelman.
- Bronze medal, Paris Photo Prize, 2017) “Collective Pain”.
- 1st place, PHOTO+, PDN Faces Photography Contest, 2017, NY. 1st place, PDN, Rangefinder, WPPI, One Life International photography, 2017.
- 1st Place, PDN, NY and Photocrowd, London, Photo¬journalism in Black and White, 2018.
- 1st prize, Smart Arts category, Digital Camera's Photographer of the Year, 2017. 3 place, Digital Camera Photographer of the Year, 2018.
- 2nd place, Black and White Photographer of the Year, Fujifilm
- Aline Smithson Juror’s Selection, New York Center for Photographic Art, ONE Call, 2017
- Sony World Photography Awards (2018), ‘Commended’ photo on Portraiture Category.
- Silver Medal, Editorial, General News, Tokyo International Photo Awards, 2017.
- ‘Mark of Excellence’, Black and White, ‘I Shot It’ Leica Competition, 2017 and 2018.
- 3 Place, International Photography and Arts Community People and Animals.
- Winner 2017, ‘35 Awards – 100 Best Photos of the Year (2017), Black and White, Moscow.
- Royal Photography Society, short-listed, International Photography Exhibition, 2018, London.
- Gold in Editorial-Conflict / Bronze in Editorial-Photo Essay / Silver in People-Children / 1st place winner in Editorial. Moscow International Photo Awards (MIFA)
- Top 20 finalists, FOCUS Photo, Summer edition, 2018, Les Rencontres de la Photography, Arles.
- Honorable Mention, Neutral Density Photography Awards, Professional (2019),
- 2nd place winner, juror Louise Fedotov, Black and White competition, NY . 2018, USA.